2007年12月19日星期三

Cigarettes Are Not A Catalyst For Anything

There are so many advantages about smoking, surely invented by smokers themselves, which are cherished. Here are just a few:

1.Cigarettes help me get started in the morning. If I do not have my coffee and cigarettes, I am worthless
2.I cannot be me without a cigarette, it brings my personality out. Without a cigarette I am most definitely not interesting enough.
3.If I smoke, then my creative juices flow better. Without cigarettes, I am blocked. I can't write, paint, sculpt, design (Fill in the blank, really).
4.It is my way of having a moment to myself, for me, and me alone.
5.Smoking helps me think. I am not at the top of my game without them. Cigarettes give me an edge.
6.It is the perfect end to a meal
7.It is the perfect end to sex.

Read the list and see if you if agree with any of these advantages, then re-read the list and see if any of them are true. You will find none of them are.

Cigarettes are not a catalyst for anything. The stimulant in cigarettes clearly speeds you up, but do not confuse faster with better. Faster means nothing more than you are pumped up, and so you know, you are artificially so, you are pushing your heart past a place it wants to be right then. You do that often enough and your heart will talk back to you, and I doubt it will be pleasant. You will then get a taste of truly slow thinking.

Cigarettes do not help you clarify your thoughts. In fact pushing too much stimulant through your system in too short a time creates confused thinking. (That should shed some new light on the past key decisions you have made in your life. Were you puffing up a storm while you made them?)

You are definitely not more focused when you pump tobacco and chemicals into your blood stream, so cross that myth out.

Is it really the perfect end to a great meal or to sex? Why end either, is another argument.

This a long way of saying that there is a lot to be said for being yourself, letting your mind operate at its normal speed, not at a rate that is tweaked by your cigarettes. There is a lot to be said for allowing your mind to work at the speed it wants to work at. For that is more likely where you will find the edge you desire. If you smoke you are going to find more and more moments when you are alone, that advantage may be true, over time less and less people want to be around a smoker. You may get all the alone time you want.

These advantages do have a purpose. They help smokers hold onto their addiction for a little longer. But there is a lot to be said for the truth too. The truth is that smoking is really bad for you.